Chapter 2: Setting Goals
Key takeaways for review
1. Describe the characteristics of well-written goals.
2. Explain the relationship between your values and your goals.
3. Define success, including the role grades play in shaping success.
Reflecting on a poor choice
In a few paragraphs, tell the story of a time you made a poor choice in life. Why did you make it (what were the circumstances and how did you feel about them and yourself)? What were the consequences of your choice? Based on what you have learned in this chapter, what would you now do differently, and why?
Reflecting on a good choice
In a few paragraphs, tell the story of a time you made a good life choice. Why did you make it (what were the circumstances and how did you feel about them and yourself)? What were the consequences of your choice? Based on what you have learned in this chapter, is there anything you would now do differently, and why?
Focus on success
One success I’ve had so far in college is:
Here are several things I’ll do to remain positive and motivated:
One personal value I have that will help me achieve my goals is:
As I transition to college, here’s what I’ll do to stay focused in my first year:
I will immediately start taking these steps to ensure I succeed in my classes:
I have set the following realistic, specific, and time-oriented goals:
Resources for goal setting
- Free Personality Test: 16 Personalities
- Creating S.M.A.R.T. Goals
- Quiz: How Good is Your Goal Setting?
- Goal setting worksheet, motivation techniques, et cetera: Goal Setting – Oregon State University, Academic Success Center
Utilize Career Coach and other course materials to discuss the following related to the career you are planning to pursue at this point in your life:
- A “Day in the Life” of your chosen career
- Employment outlook in this career field
- Average annual salary for this career
- Education and training you will need for this career
- Skills you plan to acquire or enhance in order to be successful in this field
- Three goals related to achieving your career plan
- Three action steps to achieve those goals
- The resources you will utilize to achieve your career goals
This chapter in your textbook covers important topics like habits of mind for success, discovering your values, defining success, and defining goals.
Follow this link for additional resources: https://libguides.monroecc.edu/cos/goals
If you have questions or need help accessing MCC Libraries, let us know at email@example.com or 585-292-2303.