Chapter 1: Starting Smart
Important MCC technology
Are you able to complete the following tasks related to MCC technology?
- Set up your Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)?
- Send an email through MCC Outlook?
- Properly remove a flash drive?
- Print a document using PaperCut?
- Look at the schedule of courses for next semester or register for classes?
- Sign in to myMCC portal?
- Check on Financial Aid?
- Find your courses in Brightspace?
- Submit an assignment in Brightspace?
- View grades in Brightspace?
- Navigate Zoom?
- Navigate the MCC Website?
- Use the A-Z index?
- Find a professor’s contact information on the Employee Directory?
Work on these skills throughout the semester and be prepared to demonstrate them in the future. The information below can help you.
Monroe Community College considers MCC’s student email system, Outlook, (Microsoft Office365) as an official means of communication. MCC will use the system to notify students of college-related business and to share general information of importance with students. To ensure the effectiveness of the email system, the following conditions are set forth:
- The College will consider students to be informed and in receipt of correspondence sent to their MCC email account.
- MCC will direct official communications to students’ MCC email accounts. Students are responsible for reading their college email on a regular basis and for recognizing that certain communications are time-sensitive.
- Students who choose to have the MCC email forwarded to a personal account do so at their own risk. The College is not responsible for any difficulties that may occur in the proper or timely transmission of, or access to, MCC email forwarded to a personal email account. Any such problems will not absolve a student of their responsibilities to know and comply with the content of official email communications sent to the student’s MCC email account.
- Access to and use of the MCC student email system is considered a critical service at the College. The MCC Code of Conduct for Users of College Computer Systems applies to the student email system. The College reserves the right to immediately withdraw access and use of student email when there is reason to believe that violations of the Code of Conduct have occurred. In such cases, the alleged violation will be referred to the Vice President of Student Services for further investigation and adjudication under the College’s Conduct Regulation procedures.
- Students with a disability who are unable to access their email account may request support from the Office for Students with Disabilities.
- Communication via the MCC student email system is subject to the same public information, privacy, and records retention laws as other forms of communication. Redirecting of MCC email by students to outside accounts and the sharing of messages with third parties may negate the privacy protection rights afforded to the College.
The Code of Conduct for Users of College Computer Systems contains information about the use of computers at MCC.
Explore MCC technology: file storage
Develop a plan for organizing your paper and electronic files.
For paper files, decide how you want to keep track of class handouts, assignments you are working on, and materials you’ll need to study.
- What will you use for note-taking?
- How will you know what notes you need for each test?
- How will you keep materials for each class separate and organized, so you can easily access what you need when you need it?
- When will you assess how your system is working?
For electronic files, consider how you will file and save your work.
- Cloud Storage Platforms, such as Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, and Dropbox are usually your best option for file storage as most of them save automatically.
- Flash drives are a convenient way to save your electronic files because they are portable and can be used in many electronic devices. One downside of flash drives is that they can corrupt making the files inaccessible.
- Another way students save files they are working on is by emailing themselves the documents as attachments. That way, they have access to the documents anywhere they have email access. Keep in mind that you can’t automatically save to an email attachment. You need to first save the revised document to the computer and then send the document to yourself again as a new attachment.
Consider saving your work in multiple places to avoid last minute panic should something happen to what you created. What’s your plan for organizing electronic documents? How will you be sure you have access to what you need to work on or present to class when you need it?
MCC Tech Guide: What Every Student Needs to Know
Campus Wireless (Wifi)
Want to connect to Wireless on your own device while your are on campus? Select MCC and log in using your MCC username and password. Troubleshooting: www.monroecc.edu/go/wireless.
Navigate the MCC Website
Bookmark the MCC Website homepage at www.monroecc.edu.
Refer to the Current Students tab for pages students use frequently or see the A-Z tab for a full alphabetical list.
Look for quick links to key information at the foot of the homepage.
Log in to myMCC
Go to mymcc.monroecc.edu to access our myMCC portal. The portal connects you to everything you need as a student.
Log in with your MCC email and password. You will need to make sure you use Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) to verify your identity and keep your account safe.
Search for the Monroe CC app in your app store to access the portal on the go!
For login help, contact Student Technology Help Desk
Use MCC Email
Outlook email is MCC’s official mode of communication.
Check your email often through the myMCC portal or download the Microsoft Outlook app.
Using MCC Student Email Basics (Video, 1 min): http://bit.ly/mccstudentemail
Passwords expire every 180 days! To reset your password: https://myaccount.monroecc.edu/.
My Courses in myMCC
Many professors require you to use Brightspace to access class content, assignments, tests, grades, and instructor email.
Find your courses in myMCC in the Brightspace Classes tile beginning 7 days before the class start date.
- How to navigate (video, 2 min): https://bit.ly/d2lnavigate
- Set up your profile (video, 2 min): https://bit.ly/d2lprofile
- Review your notification settings (video, 2 min): https://bit.ly/d2lsettings
- Manage your calendar (video, 1 min): https://bit.ly/d2lcalendar
- Navigate your course content (video, 1 min): https://bit.ly/d2lnavigatecontent
- Submit assignments (video, 2 min): https://bit.ly/d2lassignments
- Submit discussions (video, 2 min): https://bit.ly/d2ldiscuss
- Submit quizzes (video, 3 min): https://bit.ly/d2lquiz
- View grades (video, 1 min): https://bit.ly/d2lfindgrades
- View class progress (video, 2 min): https://bit.ly/d2lclassprogress
- Alternative formats (video, 1 min): http://bit.ly/studentallyformats
Portal not working? Go directly to your courses on any web browser at https://mylearning.monroecc.edu
Brightspace is designed to be mobile-friendly, but you can also download the Pulse (Brightspace) Mobile App!
My Account and Starfish
Register for classes using the Register Here tile and find information about Financial Aid on the Financial Plan tile the myMCC portal.
Starfish is MCC’s student early alert system.
Make an appointment with an advisor using Starfish.
Use the Starfish tile for more information.
Create and Organize Files
Submit assignments in Brightspace as Word, PDF, or PPT files. If using other programs, convert files before submitting. Convert Google Docs to PDF (video, 1.5 min.): http://bit.ly/convertdocs
Did you know that MCC students can install up to 5 instances of Microsoft Office 365 for free? Learn more: www.monroecc.edu/go/office365
Know where to save your work and have a backup plan!
Saving and sharing documents in Word 2016 (video, 4 min.): http://bit.ly/wordsaving
Basic File Management for Windows (video, 5 min.): http://bit.ly/storingfiles
Flash Drives: If you save your work on a flash drive, eject it properly and keep it in a safe place.
Properly eject a flash drive – Windows 10 (video, 30 seconds) – http://bit.ly/mccflashpc
Properly eject a flash drive – MAC (video, 1 minute) – http://bit.ly/mccflashmac
Print Documents Using Papercut
You receive $15 print credit per semester. Print from any campus computer by logging on to PaperCut with your MCC network account and password to release your print jobs. Instructions (including printing from laptops and printing in color): http://libguides.monroecc.edu/printing
Connect with Your Classmates
Use the CircleIn app to connect with your classmates and ask questions and earn rewards while sharing your notes and class resources. Learn more: http://bit.ly/circleinmcc
Build Your Computer Literacy Skills
If you are new to using a computer and its applications, there are many resources that can help you get your computer skills up to speed!
- Assess Your Skills: https://www.digitalliteracyassessment.org/
- GCF Global Tutorials: https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/subjects/tech/
- Microsoft Digital Literacy: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/digital-literacy
Take an MCC course on Computer Literacy! http://bit.ly/crc101complit
MCC has a college-wide license to Zoom. Zoom is a web conferencing platform. To activate your account, go to our Zoom website at https://monroecommunity.zoom.us/ and login with MCC email and password.
Visit Best Practices for Using Zoom for tutorials and instructions. Some classes may require that your MCC Zoom account is set up.
Questions about MCC accounts and systems (including passwords)?
Check the Technology Help tile in the portal or go to:
Student Technology Help Desk: www.monroecc.edu/go/studenttechhelp
Email: email@example.com Call: 292-TECH (292-8324) Option 1
Questions about My Courses (submitting work, Brightspace app, finding grades, etc.)?
Check the SUNY Online Knowledge Base https://online.suny.edu/support/ or contact:
SUNY Online Help Desk: https://online.suny.edu/help/
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Call: 1-844-673-6786
Hours: M-F 7am-12am, Sa 10am-6pm, Su 10am-9pm (EST)
Need more support with online learning?
MCC Online Student Orientation: View this short orientation course in Brightspace listed in the “Student Resources” term.
Virtual Campus: https://www.monroecc.edu/depts/distlearn/
Email: email@example.com Call: 585-292-3440